Here is an email on locale-appropriate technology that I send out to various interested parties. Please send a copy to anyone you think might be able to help get this information to those who so desperately need it.
Hey, guys! I’m just here to pass on some links on water filtering; safer, more efficient heating/cooking; strong, inexpensive buildings; soil improvement; and safer septic systems. (All five technologies can be easily put into use with local materials and few tools.) Please note that most subjects will require further study to see how best they can be implemented, but, when used together, almost guarantees a substantial improvement in the standard of living, when not outright saving lives.
CERAMIC WATER FILTER
Main points of rocket stoves:
- Fuel is completely burned:
- Because the combustion chamber is well insulated, the temperature inside of it can reach 1800 degrees Fahrenheit.
- No smoke. The operating temperature inside the combustion chamber is more than double the autoignition point of any fuel you would be using, so everything (even smoke) is burned. Once at operating temperature, the exhaust mostly consists of warm, moist air, rich in CO2, which is perfect for greenhouse atmosphere.
- No soot in pipes. (As one link states, it took over two years for sufficient creosote to build up in the heat exchanger to noticeably effect performance, without becoming a hazard.)
- No carbon monoxide. Because of high air flow rate (the reason behind the word ‘rocket’), every carbon atom has lots of oxygen atoms to bind to.
- Very little ash to clean out.
- Versatile. Burn wood chips, branches, leaves, grass clippings, newspaper, entire trees. It will all burn completely.
- +90% efficiency. 4-8 times more efficient, compared to regular wood stoves.
- Safe. The only high heat is in the combustion chamber, which doesn’t strictly need to be immediately adjacent to where the fuel is burned, or the mass to be heated. The exhaust is generally as hot as a cup of coffee.
- Inexpensive. Almost all of the stove can be made with materials gathered on-sight (clay/straw/etc.)
- Attractive. The outer surface can be clay/metal/etc., Whatever you want it to look like.
- The top of the combustion chamber can be used as a flat cooking surface, contain a stock pot insert, and/or be used for a hot water heater/boiler.
COMPRESSED EARTH BLOCKS
- Functions almost like a coral reef for sheltering soil micro-organisms
- Holds water and nutrients until plants remove them, keeping both from leeching further down into soil, and water from evaporating upwards.
- Component of terra preta
- Solely mechanical soil improvement
- http://www.cd3wd.info Torrent (Magnet) links for the content:
CD3WD Educational Content
Preschool / Primary / Junior School – 11 dvds ~47GB
Senior Secondary (High School) – 9 DVDs ~39GB
Misc (Vocational, Agriculture, Etc) – 7 DVDs ~28GB
Novels, including Wikipedia content – 4 DVDs ~16GB
- CD3WD direct downloads
- Download Wikipedia
- Survivor Library
- Open Source Ecology
- DIY Dharma
Worry not what you will say,
When called to speak of God to men.
Hold tightly to His guiding hand;
Be open to His Spirit, then
The words will come, in perfect form, with perfect aim,
Arrows tipped by humble human tongue
Piercing still the hardest armoured heart.
Not from any mortal sprung,
Nor wisdom of the worldly kind.
No! They’re fired straight from the Lord’s own bow,
Throwing hands and cries into the air,
Dropping knees and tears to Earth below.
So that all that witness can but one thing say
“Only God could have done this, here, today!”
(Based on 1 Corinthians 2:1-5)